Three Scorpions Up!

I'm calling the Scorpions done, painting-wise. I hit them with one more highlight on each color and finished up the other two tanks this past week. If I have time this weekend I hope to hit them with a glosscote so I can put the transfers on, and then dullcote them and put the tufts on the bases. Next up are the Cobras, which I'm starting on tonight.

These are my objectives that I'm currently battling gaps on. Filling the gaps smoothly has been a bit of a challenge.

Finally, completely un-Eldar related, I built a Lunar-class Crusier at lunch. I picked it up at Adepticon's bitz trading. Anyone know of a paint scheme for Battlefleet Armageddon?


Highlights, Take Three

I added some Elf Flesh highlights to the orange, Blue Horror to the black and Elven Gray to the weapons, and I'm not convinced the photos show any of them… I've got a few hours tonight to paint, I'll see how I like them then and decide if I want to go further still. The other two tanks are progressing as well, I finished up everything on them except for their hulls and weapons. I'll start in on those tonight too.


High All the Lights

OK, take two on the highlights. I went back and re-edged the black with Eshin Grey followed by Fenrisian Grey, and widened the orange highlight of Firedragon Bright while completely edging with Lugganath Orange. Worse? Better? About the same? I think I'm going to try one more level of extreme highlight on each, just to see how it looks.

The other two Scorpions got their undersides finished up and are now glued to their bases (1/8" eyelets are great for this if anyone is curious). I also did the first highlight of the black on them. I'm going to be keeping the turrets separate from now on as it makes painting things a lot easier.

I never snapped pics of my Wrath of Kings Zeti I finished up a month back. The only thing I might change are the leaves on a few of the headdresses. Right now their gold, I might try a few of them as green.


It's the Great Pumpkin, Autarch Brown!

I highlighted and shaded one of the Scorpions to completion this week to start to figure out how I'm going to paint these colors. I'm pretty happy with the blue-ish grey weapons and the canopy/gems but I'm not quite there on the orange and black. The orange was highlighting with Troll Slayer and Lugganath, I think I want to try those again though as the highlights aren't stark enough for me. Thoughts? Same for the black, that was Eshin Grey followed by Dawnstone.

The one panel I left orange is for a transfer I hope to print out. I finish it up once I lay that down.

Any other thoughts on improving the colors or adding accents?


Grimdark Creamsicles

Building these have been a background project of mine for the last couple of months. I had hoped to finish my Wrath of Kings army before starting a new project but I wasn't feeling it so here we are: Epic Craftworld Lugganath Eldar. I started out using my airbrush on these to get the feel for it. The undersides are Abaddon Black and the top Jokaero Orange. I wanted to use Troll Slayer Orange but that wasn't covering well enough so I put Jokaero down first. After Troll Slayer's down I'm going to hit it with a gloss coat and then try shading with Fuegan Orange. We'll see how that goes.

The bases were Zandri Dust, and dry brushes of Zamesi Desert, Tyrant Skull and Wrack White. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to differentiate the bigger rock piles.

In terms of what's left to build: Shining Spears, another 18 tanks, Wraithlords, Vampires, titans and a slew of Wave Serpents.

I put small magnets in 2 bases of each Aspects, as well as some Guardian and Wrathguard stands. The plan there is to do the same for Exarchs and Farseer characters.


Adepticon 2017

I got back from Adepticon yesterday, after a bit of flying, training and hoofing it up a hill with boxes of swag in tow. It was a good time for the most part. Plenty of games, excellent tacos and horchata (it's near the old venue, but we always head out to Burrito Parrilla Mexicana when we're out there), and plenty of stuff to see. Pics from my games are below, enjoy!

Adepticon 2017


Lady Lupa - Part II

I finished up Lupa's skin and hair last night. I still see a few places in these pics that I want to go back to.

I also painted up her skirt, shirt (although those highlights are pretty much washed out), leather and brass too.

The fur, and wrappings are next, as well as the hammer.

I tried something new on the hammer, some high contrast metal. I'm not happy with it. Pointers/comments/thoughts?


Man O' War, Epic and More!

I've been painting, but slacking on the picture-taking front. I've mostly been working on Wrath of Kings Zeti for a paining competition at my FLGS. They're nearly done, so pics up soon. In the meantime, enjoy some shots from this past weekend's games day.

Games Day - 2017-02-19


Like Sparticus, Just with Less Dong

I picked up an Arena Rex starter at CaptainCon this past weekend, along with two gladiators. One was Lupa, the Kickstarter limited edition figure. Apparently the game's company is having a painting competition at Adepticon, so I thought I'd try my hand at painting her. The figure's pretty nicely cast, I only had to do some light line filing and puttying to get her ready for paint.

I was going to use the original base (along with a washer underneath for weight) put went with a 30mm Renedra one instead. The flatter bases don't break the game's immersion as much for me.

The flesh is pretty much done I think, I might touch up a few things now thanks to the macro-shots but I'm pretty happy with it overall. The hair was a happy accident. I got some flesh wash on the white primed hair and thought it looked a lot like red hair. So I did the whole thing ad I'm not disappointed. I'll highlight it next and then start in on the leathers.